Nebraska Lost Title Bond

Enter the business name to obtain a quote:

Nebraska Lost Title Bond: A Comprehensive Guide

This guide provides information for insurance agents to help their customers obtain a Nebraska Lost Title Bond

At a Glance:

  • Lowest Cost: $100 per year
  • Bond Amount: One and a half times the vehicle’s value
  • Who Needs it: Vehicle title applicants in Nebraska who do not have adequate proof of ownership
  • Purpose: To ensure the rightful vehicle owner does not suffer financial harm if the title applicant does not actually own the vehicle
  • Who Regulates Lost Title Bonds In Nebraska: The Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles
Nebraska Lost Title Bond Form
Nebraska Lost Title Bond Form


Nebraska statute 60-167 requires residents who do not have adequate proof that they own their vehicle to purchase a surety bond prior to obtaining a duplicate title. The Nebraska legislature enacted the bonding requirement to ensure that the rightful vehicle owner will receive compensation if the title applicant does not actually own the vehicle. The bond will be active for three years from the date of issuance and must be in an amount equal to one and a half times the vehicle’s value.

What is the Purpose of the Nebraska Lost Title Bond?

Nebraska requires residents to purchase a surety bond as part of the application process to obtain a bonded title. The bond ensures that the rightful vehicle owner will not suffer a financial loss if the title applicant is seeking to obtain the title fraudulently. If the title applicant is engaging in fraud, then the rightful vehicle owner can file a claim against the bond and receive compensation up to the full amount of the bond. In short, the bond acts as a safeguard against people attempting to obtain ownership of a vehicle through unethical means.

How Can an Insurance Agent Obtain a Nebraska Lost Title Bond?

BondExchange makes obtaining a Nebraska Lost Title Bond easy. Simply log in to your account and use our keyword search to find the “title” bond in our database. Don’t have a login? Gain access now and let us help you satisfy your customers’ needs. Our friendly underwriting staff is available by phone at (800) 438-1162, email, or chat from 7:30 AM to 7:00 PM EST to assist you.

At BondExchange, our 40 years of experience, leading technology, and access to markets ensures that we have the knowledge and resources to provide your clients with fast and friendly service whether obtaining quotes or issuing bonds.

Not an agent? Then let us pair you with one!

BX Agent Finder Link

Click the above image to find a BX Agent near you

How is the Bond Amount Determined?

Nebraska statute 60-167 dictates that the bond amount must be equal to one and a half times the vehicle’s value. To determine the vehicle’s value, applicants may reference the vehicle’s property tax evaluation or the National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA) appraisal guide.

Is a Credit Check Required for the Nebraska Lost Title Bond?

Surety companies will not conduct a credit check for bonds that are less than $25,000. At limits over $25,000, surety companies will review the applicant’s credit standing to determine qualification for the bond. For larger bond amounts, applicants with poor credit may be subject to a higher rate. Generally, most carriers want to understand how the applicant came to have ownership of the vehicle.

How Much Does the Nebraska Lost Title Bond Cost?

The Nebraska Lost Title Bond costs either $100 or 1.5% of the bond amount, whichever is greater (rates may vary for bonds greater than $25,000).

Who is Required to Purchase a Bond?

The Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles requires title applicants to purchase a surety bond if the applicant cannot present the department with tangible proof that they own the vehicle and if the department does not have an ownership record of the vehicle. Lost title bonds in Nebraska are required for the following reasons:

  • A title has not been previously issued in Nebraska or any other state
  • The title applicant can’t provide the department with a properly assigned certificate of title or a manufacturer’s statement of origin
  • The vehicle currently has a bonded title in another state

ATVs, UTVs, and minibikes are ineligible for bonded titles unless a Nebraska title has been previously issued.

Nebraska Lost Title Bond

How do Nebraska Residents Apply for a Bonded Title?

To apply for a bonded title, Nebraska residents must complete the following steps:

Step 1 – Determine if a Bond is Required

Nebraska does not require all title applicants to obtain a bonded title, and usually only does so as an absolute last resort. Title applicants must complete several steps to determine whether or not they need a bond, including:


Request a record search through the DMV to determine if a Nebraska title exists. If the vehicle was purchased in another state then the applicant must request a search through the state’s DMV or equivalent agency.


If the search finds a certified title or lien on the vehicle, the title applicant must send a certified letter to the owner or lienholder to assign ownership to the applicant. If not titled owner or lienholder can be found, the title applicant must send the individual/entity who sold them the vehicle a certified letter requesting a properly assigned title.


If the title applicant does not receive a response from the owner, lienholder, or seller within 30 days, the applicant may apply for a bonded title

Step 2 – Purchase a Surety Bond

After determining that they need a bond, bonded title applicants must purchase and maintain a surety bond in an amount equal to one and a half times the vehicle’s value.

Step 3 – Have the Vehicle Inspected

All bonded title applicants must have their vehicle inspected by their local sheriff’s office. If the vehicle needs a VIN plate, the applicant must submit an Assigned ID Number application, the inspection report obtained from the applicant’s local sheriff, and a $20 fee to the Driver and Vehicle Records Division.

Step 4 – Complete the Application

All Nebraska bonded title applications should be submitted to the applicant’s local DMV office. The following documents must be submitted with the application:

    • All certified letters sent to the vehicle’s owner, lienholder, or seller
    • Documentation received when the vehicle was purchased, such as a bill of sale or canceled check
      • The application may submit a detailed affidavit if they have no written documentation
    • Photograph showing the front and one side of the vehicle
    • An affidavit attesting to the fact that the VIN plate was properly affixed (if applicable, see Step 3)
    • Inspection certificate from the applicant’s local sheriff

Bonded title applicants must pay a $50 fee when submitting their application.

How Do Nebraska Bonded Title Applicants File Their Bond?

In Nebraska, bonded title applicants should submit the completed bond form, including the power of attorney, via email to [email protected]. The Nebraska Lost Title Surety Bond requires signatures from both the surety company that issues the bond and the bonded title applicant. The surety company should include the following information on the bond form:

  • The legal name and address entity/individual(s) buying the bond
  • Surety company’s name and state of incorporation
  • Bond amount
  • Vehicle information
  • Date the bond is signed

What Are the Insurance Requirements for Bonded Title Applicants in Nebraska?

Nebraska requires all motor vehicle owners to purchase auto insurance with the following minimum limits:

  • $25,000 per person
  • $50,000 per accident
  • $25,000 property damage per accident

Bonded title applicants must purchase and maintain a surety bond in an amount equal to one and a half times the vehicle’s value.

How Can Nebraska Residents Avoid Claims Against Their Lost Title Bond?

To avoid claims against their bond, bonded title applicants in Nebraska must ensure that they are the rightful owners of the motor vehicle.

What Other Insurance Products Can Agents Offer Bonded Title Applicants in Nebraska?

Nebraska requires all motor vehicle owners to purchase auto insurance. Bonds are our only business at BondExchange, so we do not issue other types of insurance, but our agents often utilize brokers for this specific line of business. A list of brokers in this space can be found here.

Nebraska Lost Title Bond